Heath SA-2060 or MFJ 989c antenna tuner

Kenneth Laine Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Sat Jan 19 17:43:14 EST 2002

I think the Heath 2060 is better than the MFJ - more sturdily built, better
quality components, especially the caps and roller inductor. A few months
ago I started using my 2060 over an MFJ  I had earlier, and the 2060 cured
some rfi problems. The 2060 doesn’t have lighted meters, but I don’t seem
to need that feature - besides, bringing in 12 v is just another path for
rf to get out. Only drawback  of the 2060 is that it doesn’t have enough
selections on the wafer switch for setting which antenna you are using, in
case you have more than one. The 2060A overcame this problem by adding more
possibilities to the selector switch.
    I have overcome this problem and gained that needed flexibility with
some outboard coax switches. I can draw you a chart if you need it for
that. Basically I use a 2 holer coax switch to go between COAX1 and BYPASS,
then that goes through a 6 holer coax sw into which I bring antennas and
dummy load. I leave COAX2 on the 2060 for a Heath calibrator input. You
basically use the wafer sw COAX1 position and the corresponding one on the
2holer for inputs from the 6holer for antennas and dummy. Or switch the
wafer and 2holer to BYPASS to go straight to (keeps the meters in line but
bypasses the tuner “T” circuit) whatever antenna or dummy is connected
through the 6holer. Sounds weird, but it works, and is a way to basically
make a 2060 into a 2060A. I had to sit down and draw all these things
through on paper, and once I got it, it is pretty simple. However, it is
not too easy to describe in words.
    If you can find a 2060A, that is the way to go. If not use a 2060 with
the 2holer and 6holer.

--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD