HW-16 power supply rebuild

Gareth Gammon ggammon at QLYNX.COM
Sat Jan 19 21:37:00 EST 2002

The power supply on my HW-16 finally gave up; R206,  a
220ohm 2w resistor burned clean through and probably took
two sections of the main filter cap with it. I am planning
on  replacing all the high wattage resistors in the high
voltage section and the filter caps. My problem is the
filter caps. I am going to use modern axial caps and leave
the can in place but disconnected however I can only come
close the original values. There were 4 sections to the can;
two 80mfd sections as well as  a 40 and a 50mfd section. I
can get 100mfd caps to replace the 80's and thought about
using  47mfds for the 40 and 50mfd sections.  All caps will
be rated at 450v. There don't seem to be too many choices of
values in high voltage caps these days and putting two in
parallel doesn't really solve the problem either.

I'll also have to check out the rectifier diodes and may be
back for cross reference info. All the parts list says is
they are silicon diodes and gives a part number.

Does anyone see a potential serious  problem in substituting
the values I mentioned?

Thanks for any help. 73

Gareth Gammon VE7CGG