Heath GR-81 - Resurrected

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Wed Jan 23 11:35:56 EST 2002

Yesterday, I finally got a new bandspread cap (26-85) from our own Ed
Mosher. This was a part he had in his junk box. Looking at the date code,
it was manufactured 31 years ago, in the first week of 1971. With no
solder residue on the lugs, it had never been used.

The GR-81 I have is my first radio, the kit I received in Christmas of
1970. Sometime in the early 70s, in a fitful effort to "improve" the
radio, I butchered the dial panel to install a cheap vernier dial. This
involved cutting the bandspread shaft shorter, as well as boring a huge,
ugly hole in the dial sub-panel, and two smaller holes below to mount the
vernier.

The GR-81 later got cannabalized for it's main tuning cap (26-81) when I
restored a GR-64 that I had modified and later sold.

A couple of years ago, I bought a junk SW-717 from someone on the list to
get a replacement main tuning cap. That meant the dial sub-panel went on
the radio after spending about 12 years off.

Now, thanks to Ed, I was able to remove the amputated bandspread cap and
install the NOS part. This means I could install the medium knob. I still
had it after perhaps 25 years of it being off the rig.

It looks great. Yeah, there's still a big ugly hole in the dial panel
under the medium knob, and the two smaller holes are visible below the
bandspread. And I somehow have misplaced the 3/8" brass bushing that's
supposed to go behind the bandspread cap. Maybe one day I'll find a
basket case GR-81 and get a dial panel. The bushing I can probably find
at a better hardware store.

Thanks, Ed, and everyone on the list. It's great to have my old radio
back.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901