TIP on OLD STUFF-

Bob Nickels ranickel at MWCI.NET
Sat Jan 26 18:31:30 EST 2002

> I certainly agree. However, if you have access to a variable B+
voltage
> source it's possible electrolytic capacitors can be 'reconditioned'.

 A great tool for this purpose is one of the Sprague capacitor checkers.
Yeah, I know Heath made one but they left off an important piece:  the
meter.  The Sprague TO-x series checkers have a variable DC voltage
source that can be measured accurately with the meter, then you can
switch it to monitor the current through the capacitor under test.
Normally this is used to display the leakage current but it's ideal for
re-forming a cap - just slowly increase the applied voltage while
keeping the current in the 2-5 ma range to allow the electrolyte to
re-form without breaking down from excessive voltage or current.

Handy for measuring capacitance too!

73, Bob W9RAN