Panadaptor

Peter A Markavage pmarkavage at JUNO.COM
Thu Jul 4 13:55:09 EDT 2002

Hallicrafters made the same item, with different knobs and paint finish,
as the SP-44. I've had my T-200 for years. Also have the Heath HO-13 and
SB-620 and the Kenwood SM-220/BS8  panadapters. Very useful items for
monitoring transmitting signals for distortion, modulation, carrier
shifts, "how wide really is that other guy's carrier", etc. Also useful
for monitoring band activity, especially on VHF, finding an AM signal on
a crowded band during the evening, etc. CQ, QST, and 73 Mags. had a
number of articles back in  the 60's on interfacing panadapters with
their specific IF's to single and double conversion receivers with
different IF's. A simple mixer circuit, input matches the receiver IF and
the output matches the required panadapter IF. A simple crystal or LC
oscillator to feed the mixer for proper operation. The new Icom Pro
series makes big use of the panadapter in their receivers.  Every station
should have a panadapter to monitor the receive signals and a monitor
scope for monitoring their own signal.
Pete, WA2CWA