Off Topic

John Farrington jfarr at LIVINGSTON.NET
Mon Jul 8 19:17:45 EDT 2002

At 04:19 PM 07/08/2002,  K1TLV wrote on the Heath list:

>Since Thursday, 7/4, my Norton Anti-virus has blocked at least 10
>'virus attacks'. Has anyone experienced similar warnings?
>It has been months since any previous attempts.
>
>jd, K1TLV
>
>John Diefenbach, K1TLV
>Mason, NH

Only 10?  You must be a recluse.

I don't know if this new (April) worm from Asia is the one you're getting,
but it's called Klez-H    (W32/Klez.H at mm)   and is a variant of an older
Klez worm;  it's spreading rapidly by E-mail or network sharing, as it has
the ability to disable many commercial anti-virus programs. I checked a
friend's PC recently, and there were 65 infected E-mail attachments on it,
all with this new worm, despite the presence of a Norton anti-virus program
which was only 4 months old.

The slimeball who wrote the worm was brazen enough to include a hidden
(does not display on a victim's PC) text file giggling about it in bad
English,  which you can read along with a description and illustrations on
F-Secure's site at:

   http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/klez_h.shtml

F-Secure also has a stand-alone downloadable tool which they say will remove
the worm, but I have no idea how well it works.

Various other anti-virus sites have descriptions & removal information on
this worm;  Symantec's is at:

<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/w32.klez.h@mm.html>

They also have a downloadable tool to remove it;  you should carefullly read
all the instructions (on another page) because it's complicated to remove
manually if the tool doesn't work - you have to locate a bunch of files and
edit the Windows Registry.  If some legitimate files were damaged, they have
to be re-installed from your original program CDROMs.  If your anti-virus
program was disabled by this worm, then you also have to re-install it and
download the latest updates.

The Sophos site has a somewhat differing write-up, including a section on
the number of  anti-virus programs that this Klez worm attempts to disable.
(Their removal method is not a stand-alone - it requires that you have their
a/v program.)

    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32klezh.html

73

John