[Amateur-repairs] Where are the knobs???

John Schmitz cjs004 at ATTBI.COM
Tue Jul 9 07:56:01 EDT 2002

Not an ex-Heath person but here's a possible theory. A while back I worked
in a Motorola Service Center. Every month we had to go through our parts
inventory stock and pull items for destruction. Seemed like such a waste to
me but here was the reasoning behind it.

Uncle Sam looks at those parts and sees dollar signs, tax money. Uncle Sam
will only let you hold stock inventory for a short period of time (time
unknown) before he wants his tax money on those inventory parts, even if
they haven't been sold yet. Therefore, to avoid paying the taxes on
inventory that was not used it would get pulled and literally crushed
(destroyed) before the taxes due date came up.

I couldn't believe this when I first learned of it either, but this is what
we did, what a waste!

Don't know if this may have been the case with Heath when they shutdown Ham
Radio, but it's a possible theory. I know we did it in Motorola.

John R. Schmitz