Hyperactive HW-100

Kenneth Laine Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Tue Jul 16 09:34:43 EDT 2002

Greetings Greenpeople:
    I have been fussing with a HW-100. Seem like when I get one thing
fixed there is something buried under that. I have the receiver working
well, and as long as I don’t switch to TUNE or push PTT it is sounding
good.
    The latest item is power out on the wattmeter (into my dummy load)
when I hit TUNE with DRIVE pot all the way to left (CCW). Get same power
out on wattmeter by just pushing PTT.
    The rig has two Sylvania 6146A PA tubes in it. It also has a subbed
10 turn 200 ohm pot at the Balanced Modulator which appears fine on the
ohmeter (tested out of circuit at just over 200 ohms). Also it seems to
be wired in properly.
    My last best effort, based on the hypothesis of need for
neutralization of PAs, saw what looked like some progress. Adjusting the
NEUT cap brought the output way down almost to zero, and now the output
level could be controlled with the DRIVE pot (couldn’t before). HOWEVER,
when I hit PTT, same old high watt output, no matter what the DRIVE pot,
plus no response on the BM 200 ohm null pot. Agghhh.

I am probably missing something obvious. I need an oracle or two. This
is a good looking HW100 which needs to work well also.

73

--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD (Extra Class)