Way of topic, but maybe someone can help

CyberGeezer cybergeezer74 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 25 09:37:47 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Tocornal" <Brookbank at AOL.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 7:47 PM
Subject: Way of topic, but maybe someone can help

> The question is this, I do have two 3 wire conductors
gauge #12 already
> underground to the generator location, if I parallel the
2 conductors thus
> having 3 number 12 wires for each leg how many amps can
I carry?

I'm confused about paralleling two conductors to get three
in each leg.  I presume that's a typo for 2.

#12 wire is rated to carry 15 amps.  So two in parallel
should carry 30 amps.

12kw at 220 volts is about 54.5 amps (assuming the load is
not reactive).  You should not draw the full capacity from
that generator through that wiring, but you could safely
draw 30 amps (6600 watts), which may be adequate for your
needs.  (Maybe some voltage drop in the 100-foot run, but
it shouldn't be too bad.)

A related point:  the 3-wire conductors you speak of--  is
that plus ground, or including ground?  Does the generator
have a neutral output?  If it does, it expects to connect
to three conductors (not counting ground)--  (220 volts
from red to black, 110 volts from red to white or black to
white).

73 de W2GERry