HW-101 VFO Question

K7SZ rarland at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 26 19:00:00 EDT 2002

Well, I decided to rebuild the VFO in the 101 I'm restoring. After taking it out to get to the 2nd reduction drive, I found that there was a lot of loooong wires inside the VFO, and I didn't really like that.

I was looking over the svc bulletins and some other mod stuff, and there was a mod that subbed either C947 or 948 (both 56pF NPO discs) with a 47 pF cap. The idea was to provide a greater adjustment range for the VFO trimmer cap on the main tuning cap. C947/948 are in parallel with each other and in series with the trimmer cap. I was wondering, since these are NPOs, would it be wise to replace both of them with Silver Micas? I have the necessary values: 56pF and 47pF available in SM. Anyone have guideance for me on this one?

73 Rich K7SZ

PS: the Jackson Drives are a pain in the tail. Have four of them (from 2 VFOs) and have had problems repacking them and adjusting the race pressure so that the drives won't slip or bind. Still have some "gritty" feeling several places in the rotation. Anyone got a source for Jackson Drives?