DX-100, plus a cool QSL card idea

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 28 23:04:07 EDT 2002

Since both my original DX-100 had the "A" modification
already in it when I got it in 1960, and since my
"new" DX-100 also has the "A" modificaton, I would
lean towards the "A" version.  I did use an "original"
DX-100 (with the step capacitors) that belonged to a
friend of mine before I got my original "A" version
and can say that the continuous loading is better.

Heath had a modification along with adding a
"spotting" switch to all of the DX-100 series to
improve the keying.  Even with that in place, you
still have to be very careful not to get a noticable
"chirp" on CW.  Even the Apache has a very slight
"chirp", but only enough to add "character" and not to
be objectionable.  In fact, virtually all of the old
"boat anchor" transmitters sound just a little
"different" from the "modern" solid-state transmitters
when keyed.

You can get a copy of the four-page modification sheet
from the Heath modification kit for the improved
keying and spotting switch from BAMA (no cost).

The only thing about the DX-100 / DX-100A is that the
cabinet is different from anything else that Heath had
ever built.  My present DX-100(A) had the Apache style
cabinet on it when I got it.  It "looks" better
sitting next to my Apache and Mohawk, but I still
would prefer the original cabinet.

Glen, K9STH

--- Larry Knapp <kc8jx at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

any of the three would be a worthy addition to a
station...especially if it is an AM one.  Not too
impressed with my DX-100B on CW.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites