WW II equipment

Chris Campbell clcampbl at TRAVERSE.COM
Wed Jul 31 12:23:11 EDT 2002

On the subject of antique military stuff--the Maritime Museum in
Manitowoc, WI.  operates the submarine Cobia as a museum ship.  I was
just there, and they have restored all her equipment (almost) to working
order--all the elctronics, three of the 4 main diesels, etc.  I saw the
tubes glowing in a PA amplifier as we went through.  They have the nice
old Scott AM/SW receivers.  I did not absorb much of the radio
equipment, for some reason, perhaps because the tour was pushing us
through that space.   It's a nice concept, though, to have all the
equipment restored to original function.  On our tour, an original WW II
crew member was standing at his station (aft torpedo tube) and beside
his berth, and gave us a brief talk about life on the sub.

The museum is a very fine one, now doubling its size, and the sub is
worth the visit.  It's in the class of subs built at Manitowoc, although
this specific boat was not built there.

Chris Campbell