OT, was RE: Maytag, now Blueback

KA0TP at AOL.COM KA0TP at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 31 20:24:51 EDT 2002

The submarine USS Blueback, with the Amateur Radio station W7SUB, currently
has a Kenwood TS520 visible from the door of the Radio room. We did also have
a Heathkit SB102 visible on another wall and that radio has been moved and it
should be put back into service eventually when we make room. for it.
    We are changing the station layout so the Ham gear is not visible and
Military gear is, but the SB102 and other Ham gear is and will be used for
W7SUB.
We can be found on 14.250 Mhz USB on Monday nights and PSK31 or CW on 20 M or
otherwise during the day depending on Operators preference.
    Depending on the availablity of Control Operators to check people out on
the gear, the station is available for visiting Hams to operate. That is part
of the work  I am doing on the station setup. To make it easier for visitors
to operate.

Hope to hear you on the air.

Thomas D. Popp
KAØTP
OMSI-W7SUB Volunteer
(former ET3 and still a "Technoid")
Clackamas, Oregon - CN85qk
<<
 From: David Simmons <dsimmons at MACROMEDIA.COM>
 To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
 Subject: OT, was RE: Maytag, now Blueback
 Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:15:04 -0700

 I was just there two weeks ago and took the Blueback tour (highly
 recommended if you end up in Portland) and there was a Kenwood TS-520 on
 the radio desk, with a memory keyer playing a CQ call to give it that
 authentic radio feel.  I didn't notice any Heathkit gear, so maybe
 someone has been changing and operating the station.

 There's lots of info on the sub if you do a web search.

  - Dave
  KQ6RL