Diodes

Bill Strickland strick at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Sun Jun 2 00:33:52 EDT 2002

John asked:
> As a retiree, I no longer have access to reference material on
> semiconductors. I need the current rating and PIV rating for the
> following diodes: 1N2071, 1N5819, and 57-27. Two of these are used as
> SB220/SB221 HV Power Supply rectifiers. Your help would be appreciated.

Based on the assumption that you are going to replace the diodes,
I'd recommend my standard replacement values of 1KV, 6A units.
Overkill, to be sure, but you'll no longer have to worry about the
diodes.  There's not room to mount the 6A units side-by-side like
the originals, but I mount every other one on the board, then go back
and mount the ones between them by elevating them above the lower pair.
I try to give 'em all a few thousandths clearance from the board or
from each other to get a little air circulation around them.  1KV, 3A
pieces will probably last longer than I will, but you know us QRO
guys...bigger is always better!!  ;-)

Now, if all you really wanted was the original values, I was no
help at all.

Regards,
Bill K4DX

       *****  "Are you guys ready?  Let's roll!"  *****
Todd Beamer's last words from United Airlines Flight 93 as heard
by a GTE/Airfone operator.  Moments later, he and the other
passengers took action to stop the evil hijackers from crashing
into a key government facility in Washington, DC.  The target was
most certainly either the Capitol or the White House.  The United
States is still a land of brave heroes who believe in duty, honor,
and country.  Flight 93 carried forty of them.