suggestions?: Dropped SB-230

Ken Dupuis Wn2Sqc wn2sqc at JUNO.COM
Mon Jun 3 19:33:36 EDT 2002

Hi. Wow, tough luck. Of course it's worth repairing. You could straighten
the board cracks and remove the coating on the traces and solder pieces
of solid copper wire across the damaged traces. Or, there are guys on
this reflector list who sell replacement rectifier boards. My suggestion
for the chassis is to remove the cabinet, the tubes, the meter, the
transformer and any other fragile parts, make plenty of notes so you can
replace them, then repair the damaged aluminum chassis the same way car
body and fender guys used to before the remove and replace the parts age.
Use a hammer and dolly and flatten the damage.  A dolly is a piece of
steel with various round and flat surfaces that you hold in your hand and
the dolly goes on one side of the damage and you strike the other side
with the hammer, use soft strokes and watch what you do, depending on the
amount of bending and you hammer ability it will return to the near
original shape with patience. If you simply bang on the damage without
the backup dolly you will do more damage and never get a satisfactory
repair job. You can buy a dolly at most car repair parts stores.  You
might talk to a body guy for hints first, good luck, Ken