technical problem

Ken Abrahamsen KAbraha454 at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 10 23:40:27 EDT 2002

Ray,
I installed a large minicomputer at a commercial ship builder in the past.
One day, this computer system started logging CPU/Disk/buss errors about
every 3 seconds. As I stood there watching these errors scrolling by on the
monitor (and scratching my head) and being logged out of the corner of my eye
I noticed they happen to occur with each sweep of a Navy ship's radar
antenna..... I called the powers that be and they said they had decide to run
some radar tests rather than wait until the vessel's sea trials. As I was
leaving work later that day, I noticed two panel trucks with directional
antennas mounted on the roofs from some of the local telecommunications
companies... My guess is that they too had triangulated the source of the
interference and were parked in the parking lot monitoring the problem. Who
knows what other companies in the city had problems that day and never knew
why....

So, yes it does/can happen. His PC may not have enough shielding (Plastic PC
case, as opposed to metal) no grounding or an internal cable may be just the
right length to act as a pretty good antenna. Are your house and his off the
same electrical utility step down power transformer?? Your guess is as good
as mine but these are a few possibilities.
ken
===