Computer shutdown problem

Ken Dupuis Wn2Sqc wn2sqc at JUNO.COM
Thu Jun 13 17:49:22 EDT 2002

Hi Ray. I see your point, obviously it's RF related. Very likely your
antenna RF lobe hits his computer, or house wiring, or phone line, and
yours is out of the RF lobe. I had no rebooting problem with the 40 foot
high ten meter beam located 50 feet directly above my cellar shack, my
freq counter wouldn't stabilize with the signal it got unless I touched
its antenna, but with the dipole that runs over the house it's a
different RF is everywhere story. I tried my linear and all hell broke
loose, the phone machine ran by itself, the stereo speakers in the den
went nuts, my TV died, the neighbors called, and the bathroom GFI would
trip, I solved all of these except the phone calls with a new TV and many
toroids, the latter by using 3 toroids, one each on the line, neutral,
and ground right at the GFI breakerl.  I added toroids to every computer
cable and never did remove one toroid at a time to see which cable caused
it because I was happy just to solve it. The PSK key down rebooting
stopped. Since the PCMCIA modem card was ruined I would logically assume
the telephone line was the culprit, and maybe so in your neighbors case.
So unless your neighbor allows you to try transmitting with his modem
input disconnected or with a toroid you may be out of luck. You could try
adding a toroid to the telco line where it enters his house, like after
dark, hi, hi. I forget, is your neighbor cooperative? Maybe all you hafta
do is convince your neighbor that the toroids will solve the problem or
make his computer run better or faster or whatever tale it takes. Given
my rambling I think the RF may have scorched my brain a bit. Good luck
and keep the list advised, 73's Ken