300 ohm twinlead question

ejforwood Jerold Forwood ejforwood at MSN.COM
Sat Jun 15 12:29:03 EDT 2002

I use 300 ohm ladderline to feed a folded dipole made of 121 ft. of heavy, good quality 300 ohm twinlead.  I can only raise the center feed point to approx. 25 ft. and the two ends droop down to just above head height.  I even have to fold back one end about 8 ft. along a 6 ft. high wood fence that takes it to within 10 ft. of my neighbors satellite dish. I can then tune all bands with my Heathkit SA-2060 and load in my SB-200.  I maintain the lowest VSWR I can tune, usually below 1.5 : 1.  I always maintain a good ground system, ala Glen Zook.  I have used G5RV's and other single wire dipoles.  I now have a single band 20 Mtr. dipole in the same vicinity as the folded dipole.  The Single wire dipole picks up a lot more noise than the folded dipole does and makes no better contacts.
I have used folded dipoles since I started in radio work in the 50's with the Civil Air Patrol.  They are simple to build and to string up either for home base or for field days, and they work.
As I said before, I am using mine every day and the meter on my SA-2060 indicates 500 to 600 Watts most of the time.
73's,
Jerry, K0EJF
----- Original Message -----
From: rayfri
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 7:53 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: 300 ohm twinlead question

How much power can I safely run through a good grade of 300 ohm
television twinlead that I'm using to feed an inverted V or dipole??
Besides rg-8 coax, what are you guys using for feedline for high power,
such
as with an sb 200, 30L-1 or other amps?  (I'd be using a tuner at times
with the
300 ohm twinlead).
Ray  wa7itz