FS HW 32

Kenneth Laine Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Sat Jun 22 19:10:20 EDT 2002

I have for sale a nice Heathkit HW-32 transceiver (20 meters upper
sideband). Panel is in good shape, cabinet is nicely repainted. A good
looking set. Here is the history of the unit and an account of the work
I have done on it.
    Received this in a bunch of parts units I acquired. Seemed much too
nice to part out, so I decided to fix it. Cleaned, screw audit, juiced
switches and pots, burnished relay, installed a good set of tubes,
replaced 20 mfdx350 cap at rear of board, brought up on variac, replaced
2 #47 pilot lamps, adjusted meter, final bias, mic gain, tune level.
Plugged in my D-104. I have been playing the rig in the shack today,
and, like all the HW monobanders, it has a lovely sensitive receiver
with a great rx audio into my hi-fi speaker. This afternoon I made a few
field day contacts around the country barefoot, so the TX is working
well on both vox and ptt. Noticed almost no drift after 2 minutes
warmup. On TX with a somewhat tired set of finals it shows about 80
watts out. I did not perform an alignment. That would be a good idea
once it reaches its home. However, right now it works as well as any of
my HW monobanders which I try to keep in top shape.
    The rig came to me with no tubes and no knobs. I don’t have a spare
set of either, so I am selling it minus tubes and knobs. The tubes are
common and inexpensive. A temporary set of knobs would work fine and are
likely to be found in most shacks. The real Heathkit knobs for this
series come up for sale from time to time.
    It requires a HP-23 power supply (not included) with B+ set on 250
vdc. Manual for the rig is on BAMA (search using Google.com for BAMA, a
nifty service by K4XL).
    After tubing it up and a check alignment, this one should be ready
to go.
    I offer it at $50 plus shipping. If the buyer wants them I can throw
in a mic clip and a set of the big screws & knobs for attaching to a
mobile bracket (I don’t have a mobile bracket).

--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD (Extra Class)
 home: ketner at arisbeassociates.com