Heathkit site

Jeramy Thibodeaux kg4azt at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Mar 2 04:42:27 EST 2002

The following is for informational purpose only and does not need further
discussion on the reflector.

This is also not a flame toward the site owner as it is very likely he
didn't know.

I personally sent the site owner an e-mail with a description of the
problem.

BE FOREWARNED:

The following Heathkit related site was found to have spyware on it.
http://www.vermontel.com/~ke1fr/

Accessing this site will automatically download and install a program called
hbinst.exe from Hotbar.com.

This program will load without the user knowing and then try to phone home
to IP 64.61.30.202 using port 80.

It was caught trying to send unauthorized traffic by my personal firewall.
This immediately prompted me to run a full virus scan and run a free program
called "Ad-aware" from Lavasoft.

Ad-aware identified it and successfully removed it from my system.

You have been forewarned!

Jeramy
kg4azt at earthlink.net

All of my outgoing messages are checked by Norton AV2002.  If by chance you
have a problem please let me know so I can correct the problem immediately.