TS-820,a little off topic

oh8jep oh8jep at KOTINET.COM
Sun Mar 10 15:24:28 EST 2002

Hello from Finland!

My problem is a little bit off topic from Heathkit,but I am sure that Heat "tube masters" can help me.
(I have also Heathkit SB102 well working equipment)
With my old KW TS-820,I have the problem
with final tubes cathode resistors.
Final tubes are 6146B,the same type as Heath use,and I have changed them to new ones (German made 6146B)
because those cathode resistor always burned  ( 10 ohms/1W),but it did not help,the same problem continue.
All seems to be OK,I can tune up the finals normally,the power output is normal 90-100W
but after a one 15minutes period of SSB QSO,it is almost sure that those resistors burns.
I have used carbon film resistors,because those full-carbon resistors are hard to find nowadays.
Can anybody help me?  Any ideas ,experience from anybody what is wrong? some component faulty?
or something else. This problem appeared suddenly without any warning after years of good QSOs with TS-820.

Best 73 de Aatos OH8JEP