sb200 advice

rayfri rayfri at NETWORLD.COM
Sat Mar 9 16:48:55 EST 2002

Need some advice from wiser heads than mine.....
A friend of mine was given an sb 200 amp which had been sitting around
for almost 10 years.  We fired it up and it popped the circuit breakers
in the
amp.  Pulling out my ohmmeter, I confirmed my suspicion when I found one
of
the six filter caps showed a dead short.  I checked the others using the
quick
and dirty ohmmeter test and they seemed to be okay.... no dead shorts.
I also checked both doorknob caps while I was inside and they appeared
be okay.  Likewise with the rectifier diode strings.....
I replaced the filter capacitor and we fired it up again.... and popped
the
circuit breakers in the amp again.  Is it possible that while the caps
arent showing
a dead short, one or more may be breaking down and shorting under
voltage, but
still show good with no power applied?
Any other suggestions as to what I can look for?  It's not shorted tubes
because
it does the same thing with the tubes pulled.
Also.... wasnt there someone who was making replacement power supply
boards
for the sb 200?
Thanks in advance for your help guys.....
Ray  wa7itz