In need of diodes for the SB-610

Gerald C. Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Mon Mar 11 10:01:37 EST 2002

You can use several lower-rated PIV diodes in series to safely handle 2KV.
Don't use equalizing resistors or capacitors across each diode. This was
common practice 30 years ago due to variances occurring in diode
manufacturing. This is no-longer the case. Of more important attention is
why the diodes blew in the first place. Be sure to check the filter
capacitors. As I recall, those are "black beauties" which have a tendency
of shorting over time. Also make sure the power transformer is working.
There are a few SB-601's out there with open secondary windings for the
same reasons I just stated.