SB-301 and SB-303 questions

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 15 11:07:19 EST 2002

In terms of the "like" Collins comments (and I have
made these comparisions before!):

I have an SB-301, Collins 75S-1, and Collins 75S-3A
among numerous receivers.  Back in the early 1970s,
when I had my first SB-301 / SB-401 combination I
purchased my 75S-3A and ran it in "parallel" with my
SB-301.  Nine times out of ten the SB-301 could do
anything that the 75S-3A could do.  However, it was
that "tenth" time that made me go ahead and purchase a
32S-3 transmitter to go with the 75S-3A.  Eventually,
I traded off my SB-301 / SB-401.

Along the line, in the mid-1970s, I acquired the
Collins 75S-1 / 32S-1 combination as a "back up" to
the S-3 Line.

A couple of years ago I acquired another SB-301 /
SB-401 combination (got the SB-303 at the same time)
to "re-create" my third "primary" station since I was
first licensed in 1959.  Anyway, I have had years of
experience with both the Heath and Collins receivers.

In terms of "worst" to "best" (and these receivers are
definitely better than most) it goes SB-303, SB-300,
75S-1/75S-2, SB-301, 75S-3B/75S-3C, and the best is
the 75S-3/75S-3A.  The differences between the two
Collins numbers that I am "putting" together is that
the first model does not have the "extended" range
extra crystal board.  That is the only difference
between those receivers.

The one thing that I "like" better in the Heath
receivers is that they cover 500 KHz per bandswitch
position as opposed to the 200 KHz of the Collins
S-Line receivers.  This is why I use my Heath SB-Line
along with my Hallicrafters HA-2 transverter for 2
meter SSB instead of my Collins 75S-1 / 32S-1 that I
originally started out with.

Anyway, your comments are definitely not "out of line"
with my experiences.

Glen, K9STH

--- ejforwood Jerold Forwood <ejforwood at MSN.COM>
wrote:

I believe, and I will start plenty of arguments here,
that they are both ever bit as good as the Collins
equipment that they copied.

http://sports.yahoo.com/