HW-101 to SB-102 conversion?

David Wilson david at WWNS.COM
Fri Mar 22 10:40:43 EST 2002

One of the best changes that could be made for the HW-101 is not the
circuitry changes.  It is putting it in the SB-102 enclosure.  The slots
in the cabinet of the HW-101 allow it to radiate more junk than that
of the SB-102.

Either radio was an exceptionally good performer.  I owned a number of
HW-101s and an SB-102 in the past.  Comparing it to the Drake R4B many
years ago, the HW-101 was a bit quieter and more sensitive (by a very
small margin) on 10 meters.

I was able to get the dial accuracy quite close on the HW-101.  It did
take a bit of tweaking, but was doable.  Mine did drift a very little bit,
but not enough that it was bothersome.  Mine was used mobile for a number
of years and worked great.  It was a great way to enjoy killing a battery
:-).

Dave

> Once upon a time, in a ham magazine long, long ago.....
>
> It stays in my mind that either CQ or 73 mag did a "conversion" on a HS-101 to
> add remote VFO jacks, low level RF output jacks for transverters, various relay
> connections to the back panel, etc. The article basically told how to upgrade the
> 101 to have many of the same features of the SB-102.
>
> I don't have the article, and have been half-heartedly looking for it for the
> past couple of months. If someone has a source of 70s ham mags, this would be the
> place to start.
>
> 73 Rich K7SZ
>
> "Bob, WB2UJD" wrote:
>
> > I have noticed the great degree of similarity in the two rigs including what
> > looks to be:
> >
> > Some (most, all?) of the circuit boards
> > The finals and cage
> > chassis?
> > anything else?
> >
> > The VFO looks to be solid state (and as I recall has finer granularity in
> > tuning) and the front panel/case are different.  There is also one more
> > control and an additional position on the function switch (this and the meter
> > switch are rotaries instead of slide).
> >
> > Wondering if anyone has ever done such a conversion and if it would be
> > worthwhile?
> >
> > Mainly I hated the way the HW-101 drifts and the dial accuracy.  I would be
> > happy with improving that, but the SB looks nicer, works nicer (I think) and
> > is more like a Collins than the HW ever was...
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Bob, WB2UJD

> > To post - HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
> > Archives - http://interactive.tempe.gov/archives/HEATH.html