HW-101 alignment problem, neutralization

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 25 12:50:33 EST 2002

Hello all,

I have been working on the HW-101 I have owned since it was new (and I was a
young pup!) getting it back into good working order.  I replaced the 28.5 and
29.0 het xtals that had stopped oscillating and attempted to align the unit.
I have two problems, one of which I know what to do, but not how to do it.
The other is a question for the group.

1.  I understand from reading Steve Ray's mods that the way to neutralize
these rigs is the "no final plate or screen voltage" method.  I also recall
that the SB series rigs were done this way in the alignment (I think).  I was
imagining using a 350 MHz scope as the output indicator (this is what I have
that will measure a small RF voltage) any other suggestions?  So, my question
is can anyone point me to the pertinent manual pages for the SB-(102 I
imagine?) which go through doing this, what to disconnect and where, etc...?
I think I can find the manual pages for download in a couple of places
online, but which pages to get would be a great help.

2.  When going through the alignment, I found the RF output to be lower than
it used to be on all bands.  In fiddling around, I found that if I turned the
carrier null pot all the way CW, that the output came back to what I remember
getting in the past.  I did not get to trying to do the carrier nulling for
LSB and USB, and I imagine that it isn't going to work with what I have found
in trying to get good CW output.  I am planning again on using a 350 MHz
scope as the output measurement device, I don't recall how I have done it in
the past without sophisticated equipment.  The question is what is likely to
be the problem?  I have measured the pot and it does not appear to be open
(measures about half it's value in-circuit due to the the two series
resistors and xfmr winding in parallel).  I am guessing one or more of the
two (three?) xtals in the balanced modulator (or that area if it's not the
bal mod) has died like the het xtals.  Thoughts, advice, suggestions?  Thanks
in advance,

Bob, WB2UJD