heath tuner Faq

Karl Schulte WA2KBZ at AOL.COM
Tue May 7 14:22:05 EDT 2002

Dear Heath Fans,

Several emails have reached me about antenna tuner questions.  Heath made a
remaote tuner, not an autotuner, long ago. I have one, unbuilt, in storage,
that a few folks were interested in. But there was confusion as to type and
definition of auto tuner, and why one would have or not have motors and/or
microprocessors. Here is a quick info Faq on this.  I was part of Motorla
MICOM HF-SSB team that invented the modern Microprocessor tuner (no motors,
only relays and L/C elements in a sort of binary number arrangement. This was
later imitated by SGC and a similar one was/is made by ICOM, both of which
work very well in a HAm environment. On the other hand, long ago, Heath made
an antenna tuner to match antennas out in the yard, by remote control, so you
could be at your desk, key transmitter, watch your SWR meter and tune both L
and C elements out in your yard while you were indoors by the control box,
your rig and nice and warm. When SWR went down you would see it on swr bridge
by radio. As it is in storage, I can't remember the model number, but when I
dig down thru boxes and find it, it will be offered to the ham who spoke
first, then to others if he declines.
Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

73

Karl