Re SB 102

Diane Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Wed May 8 14:46:30 EDT 2002

Hi Stan...

On what frequency does your USB crystal REALLY oscillate..?

You can check this by running a short wire from the antenna terminal of a
good, digital read-out general coverage receiver over to a spot close to
the crystal itself...alternatively, you could probably read it right off a
frequency counter with its probe close to the crystal.

I had a similar issue once with LSB & an SB-400---the audio was
considerably weaker than on USB, & sounded "tinny". A swap with the LSB
crystal from another SB-series rig confirmed it: the frequency had shifted
with age! Enough that a good part of it was outside the bandpass limits of
the IF filter.

People don't seem to realize that these crystals apparently AGE with time,
& their characteristics shift, irregardless of the fact that they're
hermetically sealed. On a different note, when you set the cursor on your
rig from band-to-band, does its position vary greatly from one to the
next...? It should stay very close to the same "zero" spot, unless one of
your HETERODYNE crystals has shifted with time, too.

It does happen...I've seen "excursions" of some +/- 3 KHz in the different
band settings, all because of shifted heterodyne crystals...

The solution is simple: you need new "rocks"! Hi Hi

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ