hw-99

Michael Prevatt KU4YP at AOL.COM
Thu May 23 00:15:06 EDT 2002

hello,

    i have a hw-99 and have a few questions for anyone with experience with
this rig.

    1. the rig is 40khz off in frequency. with the allignment procedures fix
this? seems a stupid question but for me, i can't understand which allignment
covers this. there are several described in the manual.

    2. vfo stability. anyone else have a problem with this one? even after
warmup, she's drifty. is there a mod that fixes this?

    3. listening on a seperate receiver, i have a chirp in the cw note and it
is not pleasent on the ears. anyone else with this problem?

    4. can i replace 10 meters in the rig for 20 meters? i understand this
was designed as a "novice" rig but the lack of 20 meters seems like someone
lost their mind in the design department. it would seem you could offer a rig
someone could "grow into." maybe i am way off base, but still would like to
hear of anyone has replced 10 for 20 and the mechanics of how that was done.

    5. any way of adding rit and possibly adding the warc bands to this rig
as my hw-9 has? that sure would be nice.

    i know there were not alot of them made and a purist may slam me for
wanting to alter the rig, as far as the bands go. but, i got this thing
because i enjoy working cw with the hw-9 and sometimes wanted a little more
than qrp (50 watts of the hw-99). anyone with experience with the rig please
drop me a line. would like to hear it, pro or con.

    thanks,
    mike prevatt
    ku4yp