Fw: Re: SB401 Warning and info

Sandy and Kees Talen windy10605 at JUNO.COM
Thu May 23 14:08:12 EDT 2002

This may be shutting the barn door after......

I assume you have a three wire grounded plug or the unit is
grounded in some way for the short to occur (AND that the
switch is OK). That also means that, during this failure mode,
the chassis would have been "hot" through whatever resistance
started the current flow if you didn't have it grounded hard
in some manner........nasty situation. It is ALWAYS a good
idea to use a three wire plug on a unit with a PS transformer
....whether you want to keep it "original" or not. Your short may
have been with some resistance at first, cook a short period of
time, then really short and blow the fuse. Always check to make
sure the right size fuse is installed. The primary resistance is only
a few ohms but smoke is "bad" and you should be able to smell
the transformer.

Since the switch and fuse are usually in the black "hot" lead only,
I'd also check to see if the plug is oriented correctly if it's polarized

and that the house wiring is correct (hot and neutral are not
reversed). Home Depot sells little AC outlet checkers for this.

I once had a guy tell me his TV-7 tube tester gave him a "slight tingle"
....he didn't have a three wire cord and I think he was halfway there
to what you experienced.

73s  Kees K5BCQ