CRC 2-26 Lubricant

Richard H. Arland rarland at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri May 24 17:34:26 EDT 2002

Gang:

I've been frustrated trying to remove the 30+ years worth of gunk and
grease on the dial drive mechanism of a SX-117 I am restoring. In
desperation, I turned to my friendly local model train shoppe....the guy
there said to try CRC 2-26, which is a plastic safe lubricant that will
wash out caked on grease and leave a very thin "micro coating" of
lubricant on metal parts.

The stuff costs less than $4 and works like magic.

I saturated the dial drive pulleys in the 117 with the stuff, while
turning the tuning control. It took about 3 minutes to completely flush
out the old grease and gunk. Now I have a very nice dial "feel" that
does not slip.

Thought some of you out there in BA-Land might need something like this
so I decided to post my results.

This works better than alcohol, Simple Green, and the leading orange
smelling "degreaser". CRC also makes several kinds of degreasers but
they are not plastic safe.

73 Rich K7SZ