HW-101 dial drive slippage

Ed Kotkiewicz ekotkie at EZL.COM
Sun May 26 21:12:54 EDT 2002

CyberGeezer wrote:

> The dial drive on my HW-101 has started to slip.  (As I turn the tuning
> knob, when I get to certain spots on the dial the dial stops moving--  I
> have to turn the knob through several revolutions before the dial moves
> again.  It always seems to be the same spots on  the dial, and is
> independent of direction.)
>
> Are there any standard recommendations about this problem?
>
> 73 de W2GERry

EK> Well, it would help if you had a manual of the front panel
installation.  It sounds like you probably have some dried out lube in the
Jackson Drive.  When you take the main tuning knob off, the Jackson drive is
mounted to the front panel.  Maybe there is a bit of binding between the
Jackson drive and the VFO dial.  I would recommend pulling the 101 out of
the case and look as carefully as possible at the dial/ Jackson drive
interface for binding.  The front plate that Jackson drive mounts to has two
screws that might give you a left/right play.  It will pay to be able to see
the backside of this interface while attempting this.  You may have to pull
the J-drive out, clean it and use a non-petroelum base lube.

Hope this helps some.....

Ed