HW-101 Upgrades

Richard H. Arland rarland at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed May 29 17:59:59 EDT 2002

About 30 years ago, one of the ham mags (I don't think it was QST or HR
as I have all these issues on CD ROM and can't find the article) ran an
article on upgrading the HW-101 to the equivalent of a SB-101. Adding
such things as low level RF output for transverters, extra jacks that
were controlled by the existing relays, input for an external VFO, etc.
As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, there was also an
article about the same time regarding making an outboard VFO from parts
ordered from Heath. It was housed in a SB series speaker case, but had
the VFO from the HW-101 including the dial, bezel and escuntion plate.
Quite a neat looking affair, actually.

Does anyone know where this article appeared? I'm thinking CQ or
possibly it was 73. Sure would like to get my hands on that article and
update my HW-101 now that it is pieces where I can get to everything.

73 Rich K7SZ