Shorting strap

Brian Wood brianmwood at DIRECWAY.COM
Fri Nov 1 00:41:15 EST 2002

Remember that "shorting strap" I mentioned as the cause of the dead short on
the loading cap of the DX-100 I just restored? It finally dawned on me that
it's not a shorting strap, it's a trimmer. Normally you should be able to
leave the screws in without it shorting, because there's a piece of mica
that acts as an insulator between the screw head and the strap. Now that
it's removed I can't be sure, but I think the piece of mica was on the wrong
side of the strap, which made the screw head touch the strap, thus causing
the short. Can't imagine how that could have happened, but it sure appears
to have, because removing the strap and the mica and the screws definitely
fixed the short. Most odd.

AM seems to work, although one of the D-104's I got to use with it doesn't
seem to have much output. The other one works fine. Inching closer to having
it on the air. Need a T/R relay next. And I could still use one AF GAIN knob
and one of the outer concentric knobs for the loading control if anyone has
some extras.

73,

Brian, W0DZ