E-bay prices driven up?

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 7 18:46:52 EST 2002

Basically it is the fact that very few SX-88 receivers
were ever built, there are numerous more SX-115
receivers around.  A significant amount of the value
comes from them being scarce.

Another example is the Collins 75S2 and 75S3A.  There
were less than 500 of each model built whereas there
were many thousands of the 75S1, 75S3, 75S3B, and
75S3C receivers built.  They are not as rare as the
SX-88, but they do command a premium in price.
Although I don't have an SX-88, I have owned a 75S3A
for almost 30 years.

Another example are the Conar novice receiver and
transmitter.  Frankly, they really don't work very
well at all.  But, their value comes in the fact that
they are scarce added to nostalgia.  Of course, they
are not in the $4000 range, but go for several times
what they would be worth if they were manufactured by
Heath, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, etc.

As for eBay, the prices are really down right now.
Frankly, they seem to follow the stock market.  Also,
the nearer it gets to Christmas, the lower the prices
on eBay.

Then, there was the unbuilt AT-1 on eBay last year!

Glen, K9STH

--- WA0PBL <wa0pbl at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

My question -  what is so special about the SX-88? I
own an SX-115 Hallicrafters.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites