Heathkit Mariner DF receiver.

Chris Campbell clcampbl at TRAVERSE.COM
Thu Nov 14 22:00:52 EST 2002

I'm not sure which model RDF the inquiry was about, but my MR-1010, a
more recent model, is very sensitive, and has variable RF gain, which is
not commonly found in AM broadcast-band receivers.  I use it as a
bedside radio and have not tried to compare it to my GE Superradio II or
a variety of old tube receivers of varying complexity.  Nonetheless, I'm
prepared to say that it's way ahead of most cheap AM radios.

I've been running it off batteries.  It performs very well as voltage
drops... if you keep the digital frequency display and/or the tuning
meter light off.  With the digital display trying to work, the volatge
from old batteries drops so you get no signal, and a very erratic
numerical display.

I think it's a pretty cool Am broadcast radio.

By the way, RDF was done using nearby stations because signal
directionality was less accurate as distance increased. But using a
low-power local broadcast station in the daytime might require some good
sensitivity.  And some of the old LF radio beacons may have been fairly
low power devices.

Chris Campbell