GB> RE: Giving Up on The HW-101

N2EY at AOL.COM N2EY at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 15 22:32:39 EST 2002

In a message dated 11/15/02 7:59:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rarland at earthlink.net writes:

> I learned a lot in doing the work up to the point where I threw in the
towel,
> but I could not justify spending any further time on this radio.

Rich,

Let me add a word or two.

Some fix up old rigs in order to get them to work, and others fix them up for
the joy of working on them. And everything in between. No use torturing
yourself if your motivation is more of the former than the latter.

HW-101s aren't rare - in fact, I would not be surprised if the HW-101 was the
most popular single model of ham rig ever produced! While the design is
basically sound, there is not a lot of room for error.

I once had a Johnson Viking Adventurer that had a number of annoying little
problems. Rather than hunt them down, I simply disassembled it completely,
tested all the parts and replaced any that were questionable, erased all the
marks in the manual and rebuilt the thing from the ground up. Worked
perfectly after that. But that approach is hardly practical for the '101!

If nothing else, your units will provide parts made of 100% pure unobtanium
to keep other 101s alive for many years to come.

73 de Jim, N2EY