Parts replacement

Gerald C. Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Thu Nov 21 09:16:03 EST 2002

I don't have any specific data to present to the list, however while at
Measurements we experimented with various carbon composition resistors to
find useful upper frequency limits. Whatever "useful" meant I think was
SWR of less than 1.5 to 1 as obtained with a return loss bridge while
using the resistor as a termination. Two watt resistors we good up to
about 30 mHz, while 1/8 watt were useful up to about 150 mHz. I probalby
have the data stored away somewhere but it's been over 30 years. As for
metal film, they're not necessary all of spiral construction. Some look
like metal deposited cylinders with longitudenal (spelling?) slits cut
along the body of the resistors. Those resistors, I imagine, have very low
inductance. There is another type in which the metal coating thickness
varies. There is no way to tell which it is unless you have the
manufacturer's data sheet before you for inspection. The majority of
components today are surface mount and I would imagine that as time goes
on leaded components will all but disappear. Maybe the place to look for
information on what I would call "RF friendly" components is in the
various trade publications often available for free to those "qualified"
individuals. I used to get a ton of them until I deceided to cancel most
of them. I hadn't done any RF work professionally for a couple of years
and the pile of unread magazines was getting pretty high.