Arcing Problem with DX-40

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 3 11:34:50 EDT 2002

This is very common with the DX-35 and DX-40
transmitters.  Basically, if you don't want to change
out the entire switch (if you can even locate one!),
then you have to carefully remove the burned contact
by drilling out the rivet with a Dremel (or similar)
tool.  Then, remove a similar sized contact from a
spare (i.e. junked) switch.  Replace it using a very
small screw (can get from an optical shop - they are
used in eyeglasses) and nut.  Solder the wire in
place.

Make sure that all of the carbon has been cleaned from
the switch wafer.

This "fix" should last a number of years before you
have to do it again.  But, the next time will be
easier since the contact is held in by a screw and not
by a rivet.

Glen, K9STH

--- David Hollander <n7rk at COX.NET> wrote:

I have a problem with a DX-40 that  I am trying to get
going. When I turn it on, there is arcing  taking
place on the function switch when in the tune and the
standby position - it does not arc in the AM or CW position

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.attbi.com/~k9sth