HR-1680

multi-volti at MULTI-VOLTI.COM multi-volti at MULTI-VOLTI.COM
Sun Oct 13 21:35:31 EDT 2002

I always used to use erasers, but prefer the white drafting type.

I was at an HP seminar years ago where they adminished the use of erasers
due to generation of ESD.

Oh well...it did work though. I wouldn't use sandpaper - if there is
plating, it's usually quite thin. I think gold is 50 microinches.

If tinned it's usually thicker.

Murray

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Wittman" <wittfa19 at EARTHLINK.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 5:03 PM
Subject: HR-1680

I've tinkered with a 1680 that I picked up from eBay, it was beset with
intermittent problems, almost all of which were solved by removing the
boards and cleaning the fingers.  I did this trial and error, using no-ox,
alcohol, sand paper (fine grit) and even a pink pearl eraser.  First
question:  Anyone have a method they've tried and perfected for such a
problem?  Second question:  With this 1680, there is a noticable
degeneration in audio quality (the base disappears) when the function switch
moves from LSB to USB, and no change at all from USB to CW.  My hunch is
that it's miswired.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  Also, many thanks for
the schematics, to all who answered my request.

Fred Wittman