PCB's (OT but deserves a reply)

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 25 23:50:18 EDT 2002

Now, come on, be fair. A lot of people smoke tobacco for years and
get away with it. A lot more drive drunk and survive. Some people
clean loaded guns. Just because you get away with things doesn't mean
they're OK, or even smart. It's all a question of risk. I suspect
more people were killed in car accidents around VA than were shot by
snipers, but I'd have kept my little ass down, you bet!

We used to casually use carbon tet for cleaning. Then we used
trilene. I wouldn't want to inhale any of those these days, but I
seem to have survived. I think it was stupid to change out all those
transformers, but when was the Federal Gov't ever smart? SUV's have
killed 40,000+ people in rollovers, but you don't see all those going
to Arkansas for recycling. The auto companies know who to buy off
with 'contributions'!

Don't blame the tree huggers - I'm proud to be one myself. All they
are is a voice in the wilderness, usually ignored, often violently
assaulted by the governments or the people they try to warn. See the
Rainbow Warrior sinking and the despicable treatment by the
governments of France, and the USA, that ensued. It's hardly unusual
that the Feds go berserk on a tiny problem, while ignoring the real
dangers, that's SOP for them. It makes them look good, while they
don't have to do the hard stuff, or fix real problems.

I've never forgotten the story of the researchers who grilled a bunch
of steak on an outdoor grill. They scraped the burnt parts off, and
took them to a lab for analysis. They held a press conference some
time later, and announced that yes, the burnt parts of the steak were
somewhat carcinogenic. Amongst the questions, one reporter asked them
what happened to the steaks they had grilled. The researchers
explained that they had eaten them. In response to the obvious follow
up question, the comment was, "Hey, that was really good steak"!

It's all about comparative risk. Make your own choices, but don't
expect to buy PCB laced oil anywhere soon.

Neil