DX-100 working!

Brian Wood brianmwood at DIRECWAY.COM
Mon Oct 28 22:03:26 EST 2002

OK, gang, you're not gonna believe this...

I couldn't figure out why the loading cap had no effect. Turns out it was a
dead short! The guy who did the loading cap mod (to replace coarse/fine caps
with the venerable 365pf 3-gang air variable) had forgotten to remove the
shorting strap on one side of the cap! All three gangs were shorted to
ground! How did it EVER work?!? And why, with a dead short on the output,
did I get any output on my power meter?!? Wow. The magic of RF.

When I bought the thing, the eBay seller included a bunch of correspondence
between the one time owner and his brother-in-law (I know it was his
brother-in-law because I called him up and asked him some stuff - he's 87
now and still going strong). One of those letters says "I have loaded this
xmtr on 160 into a dummy load but never could load it into my antenna." Gee,
I wonder why?

Now it's on to see if AM works. Then I think I'll try some of the many other
mods that I found on the web to improve audio quality, reduce heat, and go
easier on the VFO plate.

73,

Brian, W0DZ