SB-401 crystal pack

Edwin J Forwood e.j.forwood at JUNO.COM
Sat Sep 7 21:57:52 EDT 2002

The crystals under the chassis are used to offset the two sidebands. The
transmitter will not function on Sideband without them.  The crystals on
the top of the chassis control the frequency ranges of the LMO.  With out
the crystal pack the transmitter will not work unless it is connected to
a Heathkit receiver (SB-300, SB-301, or SB-303)  You switch the  FREQ.
CONTROL on the SB-401 to the Locked (REC) Position and the LMO in the
receiver controls the frequency of the transmitter as well. Thus the
ability of the pair to operate as a transceiver. But to operate the
SB-401 as a stand alone transmitter, you must have the crystal pack.
73's de Jerry, KØEJF

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:15:00 -0700 Gareth Gammon <ggammon at BCGROUP.NET>
writes:
> Help! How many crystals make up the 401 crystal pack? Someone told me
> it should be 10 because it includes two crystals from the underside
> of the chassis.  Someone else told me that the 401 won't work if the
> two from the bottom of the chassis are removed and the pack only
> includes the 8 crystals on the top of the chassis. A look throuqh
> the  manual showed only one crystal being installed in the middle
> position of the 3 sockets and only listed one in the parts list.
>
> So, Heathkit gurus, which is it, 8 or 10 crystals?
>
> Again, many thanks for your help.
> 73
> Gareth
>
> Gareth Gammon