DX-100 Lacquer?

Brian Wood brianmwood at DIRECWAY.COM
Thu Sep 19 15:46:32 EDT 2002

I'm making some progress on the cleaning of the DX-100 chassis. Thanks to
the many who responded with suggestions.

As I've been cleaning and polishing it, I have noticed that it may have had
a lacquer coat. Does anyone know if this is true? Because if so, I have
pretty much removed the lacquer, and that means that the shiny copper is
likely to turn green over the next few years. Any suggestions on how to keep
that from happening without taking the whole thing apart and re-spraying it
with lacquer?

Also, is the front panel anodized aluminum? I am worried about the cleaning
I need to do to it. There are remnants of a sticker or a glue of some sort
around the edges of a rectangle that's about the size of a call letter plate
in the upper right corner. It partially overlaps the painted gray area
around the VFO and I don't want to take the paint or anodizing off! I've
tried WD-40 and Goo-gone with no luck. I am pretty sure fingernail polish
remover will work, but when I tried that on my Globe Chief 90, it also took
off the 40 year old paint!

I could also use a mating mic plug for the DX-100 to put on my D-104. Know
where I can get one?

Brian, W0DZ