Water-based lacquer for DX-100

Brian Wood brianmwood at DIRECWAY.COM
Thu Sep 26 20:35:02 EDT 2002

I recently asked if Heath used a lacquer on the DX-100 copper chassis. Jan
Maldups wrote: "The copper plated chassis were dipped in 'Water Lacquer'
after plating to prevent tarnishing.  It was a water based lacquer much like
Latex paints."

I found a company that sells two types of water-based lacquers that are
meant for copper and brass. The company is Triple-S Chemical Products in
California. The two products are Trilac 747 and WSL-55. The guy I talked to
recommended the Trilac over the WSL-55 due to its higher quality. Price is
about $32/gallon. He said it can be brushed on.

The SSS website is at http://www.platingequipmentused.com/ (If you go there,
you'll find the WSL-55 linked under "Lacquers". I could not find the Trilac
specs listed anywhere, but the product is listed in their "Product List"
link.)

Will let you all know how well it works on my now very clean DX-100 chassis,
from which I have removed several parts. Hope I can remember how to put it
back together again!

By the way, I tried pretty much every chemical known to man on the "Sticker
Goo", including all of your suggestions, and the goo is now about the only
thing left on that section of the front panel. Managed to eliminate most of
the paint, but the sticker goo is still there. I think it bonded itself to
the sheet metal! So I ordered a new panel from Mike Shelton.

73,

Brian, W0DZ