SB-301 problem solved

Schichler, Alfred ASchichler at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Wed Apr 2 13:07:04 EST 2003

I would like to thank everyone for their help toward solving my low reading
S-meter problem.

After taking a lot of voltage and resistance readings, I thought I had it
narrowed down to a leaky diode in the AGC circuit, but after replacing both
diodes, and still having the problem, I discovered there was a wiring error
where the coax from the input to the product detector goes to the IF board.
It went directly to the AGC diodes instead of a point marked "E" which is on
the other side of C114 and C118.

I certainly didn't suspect a wiring error to be the problem, but I guess I
should never rule out that possibility, especially with a radio sold as a
kit.

The meter works much better now, and so does the AGC. I should point out
that I bought the receiver at a hamfest about 5 years ago, and that I did
not build it myself. It probably never worked correctly.

Thanks again,
Al, NE2D