Soldering Iron (cheap but good)

Murray Leshner murrayatwork at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 10 08:23:59 EDT 2003

Only comment on $3 irons is whether or not they are ESD-safe...and what
stray voltage might be at the tip.

I have no idea if it can be objectionable, but that is something that is
defined, specified and measured on the low voltage (typ 24 V) irons.

PLenty of places where these economical irons are fine, but if you're doing
microelectronics, be aware of this parameter and decide whether it applies
to you.

Here's a helpful Hint & Kink kinda thing - it anyone still has the thread in
tip Ungar kind of heating elements...I needed a replacement tip one and
found that the threaded-end copper rod used to life many toilet tank floats
had the same thread and I used one once - had to file the desired shape, it
wasn't plated, and thus didn't last long, but long enough.

I note you use of the politically correct terminology for side cutters :O).

Murray