Question: HX-11 versus DX-20

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 1 15:45:23 EDT 2003

Rick - I have not seen many questions asked or certainly comparsions between
the HX-11 and the DX-20 in a long while.  HX-11's are not very common...DX-20's
though not uncommon are not abundant on the used market...however, HX-11's are
much more rare.  The DX-20 was sold from about 1957-1960...then came the HX-11
from 1961-1963 (tho not many were ever produced).  During this same time span
(1962-1976) the DX-60 series was a very big seller for Heathkit, so the
DX-20/HX-11 was pretty well obsolete then.

You can find information about these two and most other Heathkits at this site:
http://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/
This site took over the fine work begun by Dale, KB9JJA

The DX-20 and HX-11, internally, were almost the same...same tube lineup...
single 6DQ6A tube in the final amplifier stage, 5U4GB rectifier, 6CL6
oscillator, as well as access to the cabinet for crystal changing is provided
by a removable metal pull-out plug on the left end of the cabinet, both weighed
the same...about 18/19 lbs, RF power Input 50 watts, overall cabinet size the
same and power consumption.  Very similar except for the front of the units.

Major differences:  DX-20
 Output Impedance 50 to 600 ohms (non-reactive)
 Output coupling                PI network
 Operation              covered 80,40,20,15,11,10 meters

Heathkit HX-11 CW TRANSMITTER
 Operation              covered 80,40,20,15,10 meters
 built-in low pass filter

Good luck on finding a HX-11....perhaps they are more common that I believe.

73, Larry KC8JX

--- Rick Hiller <rhiller at SDICGM.COM> wrote:
> Howdy, folks,
>
> Heathkit transmitter questions, if you don't mind.
>
> Comparing the DX-20 to the HX-11....the DX-20 has 11 meters.
> Seems like all else is the same, except Ip meter type and some knob changes.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the HX-11 was (versus the DX-20) and if the HX-11's
> appear on the used market very often?
>
> A few jingling neurons tell me that I had an HX-11 at some point many moons
> ago and I am trying to decide  which of the 2 xmitters that it was.
>
> Appreciate the help.  Many thanks..Rick

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com