K1TLV John Mentoring?

w2kbr w2kbr at TOAD.NET
Wed Aug 6 14:23:22 EDT 2003

I agree with Tom.  As a VE, our local VEC has tested many physically
challanged folks, including those who are challenged to the written word.
My opinion, similar to Tom's, is the best approach would be to get the Mom
interested first(or concurrently), get her up to speed on the hobby, so that
she can serve as a "control" operator,per se, while her son "ragchews" on
the rig.
    As the father of a physically and mentally handicapped child, I speak
from some experience and am fully aware that some children have a very short
focal point of  perception, that is, their minds wonder off the immediate
topic.
The young man may start off on track, but cud get off on a tangent and Mom
needs to be there to get him back, or to short-circuit any impending
violation...not to mention the top priority of Safety in the Shack..

73 Ray
This email was checked by anti-virus software
Ray A. Allen, Sr., W2KBR
8303 Grainfield Road
Severn, MD., 21144-2331