HA-10 Warrior & HX-10

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 26 13:34:49 EDT 2003

Dave - I don't know about the HA-10 "hash" noise...perhaps others can comment.
One reason for using the 3B28's is they are not as susceptible to flashover as
the 866's are.

As to the HX-10, Marauder.  These units were only manufactured for perhaps two
years or so..1961-1963 (don't have the exact years off hand).  Heath definitely
sold more TX-1's than HX-10's.  The Marauders began to complete with the more
compact size transmitters then available and of course the newer transceivers.
It was the last of the "big-O" transmitters for Heath.  They are not uncommon;
not rare either.  I have one and I have seen them listed on eBay and I've seen
several at midwestern hamfests.  They are perhaps the most stable and best
sounding SSB/CW transmitters that Heath made (to that time); AM is not that
great...usable but not like actual plate modulation.  I consistently get very
excellent audio and keying reports.  I can literally pound on the table and the
transmitter will not move.  It's definitely decent.

73, Larry KC8JX

--- "Kechkaylo Dave (ATLINKS)" <kechkaylod at ATLINKS.COM> wrote:
> To All:
>
> Thanks to all who answered my questions about the UX-866A mercury-vapor
> rectifiers originally used in the HV supply of the Warrior 1-KW amplifier.
> You've answered my questions completely. Although I will probably stick to
> the Xenon-filled 3B28s, I've heard that the original UX-866As exhibit a
> "hash" noise generated from using these rectifier tubes. Was this "hash"
> noise ever that objectionable in the first place, or were they replaced by
> the 3B28s to alliviate the mercury vaporization warm-up time?
>
> In another question: I've seen lots of RX-1s and TX-1s both in the flesh and
> on E-BAY. However, I've never seen an HX-10 Marauder SSB/AM/CW transmitter.
> Does anyone know how plentiful the HX-10s are today? Were they a decent
> transmitter?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> David Kechkaylo, W8QIZ

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com